Our team of Family Lawyers can help you with all matters relating to family law. We take great pride in in the service that we provide to our clients.

We understand how difficult and personal family law matters are so we take our time and care in dealing with your issues. We will discuss your matters thoroughly with you before providing our legal advice and all options available to you. We offer a free initial consultation to discuss your options.

24/7 Assistance

A Solicitor is available around the clock to help fight your corner.

​​​​​​The end of a marriage in most circumstances is a difficult and stressful time. As Family Solicitors in Wakefield, we pride ourselves on being friendly and approachable to our clients. We are Family Law specialists with expertise across a range of Family Law issues – whether you need to resolve financial matters or the arrangements for your children or both, talk to us.

We offer a free initial 30 minute appointment to new clients. We are happy to chat on the phone before arranging an appointment as we want to ensure that you see the right solicitor for your range of issues.

Our solicitors have extensive experience dealing with the following family law matters, click on boxes below to expand for more information:
At Tyler Hoffman Solicitors we undertake all Child Arrangement proceedings at Court. If you are having issues obtaining contact with your children our Solicitors will fight tooth and nail assist you. This is our specialist area of Family Law and we have reacquainted many parents with their children.

At Tyler Hoffman Solicitors we will listen to your concerns with compassion and act accordingly. We understand how difficult it is.
If your Local Authority Social Services Department warn you that your children may be removed from your care, you should take legal advice straight away. If your child is being taken into care, or there are problems within the family which mean that care proceedings look likely, you will need the best legal advice. Our team of childcare experts have extensive experience of dealing with care proceedings, representing both parents and children and working with all parties to get the best possible result for the child or children involved.

We can also advise extended family members as to what they can do to ensure that they are assessed by social services as carer's for children whose parents are not able to look after them in order that the child or children may remain within the family.

If there are emergency proceedings regarding your children where social services have applied to take your child into care we can see you extremely quickly and represent you at court. Call our 24/7 emergency line if you require urgent legal advice.
There is only one ground for divorce in England and Wales, which is the ‘irretrievable breakdown of marriage.’
This ground must be supported by one of five set facts. These are:
1. Adultery
2. Unreasonable behaviour
3. Separation for two years, and both parties must consent to the divorce
4. Desertion for two years
5. Separation for five years.

Divorce is a Court-based process which is largely administrative in nature. Specific forms and documents are required to be completed by both parties during the process and submitted to the Court at certain stages.

All in all, an uncontested divorce ordinarily takes in the region of 4-6 months from start to finish. However, it can sometimes be longer than this, particularly if we agree not to apply for your Decree Absolute until financial matters are resolved.

Contact us to arrange a free no obligation consultation.
When the parents of a child are not married at the beginning of the pregnancy or at the birth of the child, the father is legally without the rights and responsibilities of a parent. The father, mother or a third party on behalf of the child, must seek a declaration of paternity to legally establish a parent-child relationship with the father.
This process gives the father specific custodial rights while imposing upon him a legal obligation to provide specific financial support for the child.

An unmarried father can only get legal responsibility for his child in 1 of 3 ways:
  1. Jointly registering the birth of the child with the mother
  2. Getting a parental responsibility agreement with the mother
  3. Getting a parental responsibility order from a court

Benefits of Establishing Paternity
By establishing paternity, you will give your child the rights and benefits enjoyed by children born to married parents:
  • Legal proof of each parent’s identity.
  • Information regarding family medical history (in case of inherited health problems).
  • Medical or life insurance from either parent (if available).
  • Financial support from both parents, including child maintenance and inheritance.

Tyler Hoffman family solicitors are well-versed in paternity court cases and can guide you through the ins and outs of the process.
The Fathers’ Rights and Responsibilities

By signing the affidavit, the mother and father confirm that he is the biological father of the child. The father’s signature also affirms that he will be responsible All mothers and most fathers have legal rights and responsibilities as a parent – known as ‘parental responsibility.
A prenuptial agreement is a contract entered into before marriage to determine what will happen to the assets and liabilities of the couple if the marriage fails.
One reason why couples are reluctant to enter into such an agreement is because no-one enters into a marriage expecting it to end in separation or divorce. It is for this reason that a Prenuptial Agreement can appear cynical or unromantic.

However, our experienced family solicitors at Tyler Hoffman Solicitors do in certain circumstances advise clients that such an agreement is a very sensible and practical matter to consider in the lead up to a wedding. It is particularly important if clients have acquired assets through property or otherwise prior to the relationship with their intended spouse.

What is the legal status of a prenuptial agreement?

A prenuptial agreement is not legally binding under English Law. Upon separation or divorce the English Courts have the power to make a variety of Orders in relation to matrimonial assets. However, increasingly Judges will consider the agreement as a relevant circumstance of the case providing the provisions are reasonable and certain conditions are met; namely:
  • An agreement is more likely to be upheld if both parties obtain independent legal advice before the agreement is entered into.
  • Both parties should provide full financial disclosure detailing their respective financial positions and circumstances.
  • There is no evidence that any pressure was brought to bear on either party to enter into the agreement. Pressure may be apparent if there is too little time between the agreement being considered and signed by the parties before the marriage takes place. It is therefore important that both parties seek appropriate legal advice in plenty of time before the marriage in relation to the merits of proceeding with a pre-nuptial agreement. It is not advisable to sign a pre-nuptial agreement any less than 21 days before the marriage, and ideally it should be signed some time before that.

Such documents require careful drafting by solicitors to ensure that the provisions are clear, and that all potential aspects of a future separation are considered. The parties will therefore need to consider very carefully what they ultimately wish to achieve in entering into such a document with their intended spouse.
We deal with domestic violence cases and will obtain orders for Non-Molestation and Occupation Orders for clients.

Domestic abuse can take many forms and include sexual verbal financial emotional and psychological abuse. If you are being harassed or domestic abuse has taken place we can make an application for a non-molestation order. If the other party breaches this order it would be a criminal offence which is punishable by imprisonment.

Both men and women can be subjected to such abuse in a relationship. Court proceedings can be issued to obtain a non-molestation Order and occupation Order to remove a party from the marital home.
Our Family Law specialist will deal with the family home and all other financial assets.
It is a common misconception that after divorce all financial claims finish as well. Only a Court can dismiss any further claims against your spouse. Until then all claims stay open. A Clean Break Order needs to be drawn up and submitted to Court for the financial claims to be finalised, so that no further claims can be made by either party.
It is a belief among a lot of couples that if they live together for a long time, they will automatically acquire similar rights to those of a married couple. Unfortunately, this is not the case and upon separation some may find that they have no legal protection at all.
In the UK, many couples are choosing to live together and not get married and have done so successfully without getting married.
There are a multitude of issues that can arise if these types of couples decide to separate. These include problems with the marital home, children, financial entitlements, tax, and pensions. Therefore a Separation Agreement or Co-habitation Agreement when drawn up will cover the above issues if the couple decide to separate.